Cleaning Tips in Honor of Earth DayDory Otto
In Honor of Earth Day
Earlier this week was Earth Day, in honor of that; let’s take a look at some greener ways to clean around the house. Our spring is a little late and maybe you’re a little late in doing a good spring cleaning and can put these ideas to use.
If you have recently been to a household cleaning aisle at the store, you know the choices are overwhelming. You can get things for specific surfaces, multi surfaces, sprays and wipes to kill germs, pretty smelling potions, and more. It is easy to think you need several of these products to get the cleaning jobs done. Eventually, you may amass a collection of items that begin to require more and more space. They may also require gloves and well-ventilated areas to use.
What if you could simplify? What if you narrowed your cleaning supplies to vinegar and baking soda? These two items have been around forever and can work wonders. They are earth friendly and very affordable. They are also incredibly simple to use.
Here are just a few ideas of how you can use the two:
- Baking soda sprinkled on a damp cloth works well for general cleaning.
- Baking soda paste, made from 3 parts baking soda and 1 part water can remove stubborn stains from most surfaces.
- Pouring ¼ cup of baking soda down your drains and following with hot water can prevent clogs.
- Have some carpet odors? Sprinkle baking soda on carpet, wait 15 minutes or more, vacuum, repeat as needed.
- Sprinkle in the cat’s litter box to prevent odors.
- Do your glasses come out of the dishwasher looking cloudy? Pour 1 cup of white vinegar in the bottom of your dishwasher and they should be sparkling.
- Wash your windows by mixing 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar with 1 quart of water in a spray bottle.
- Due to its acidity level vinegar kills most mold, bacteria, and germs without the need for harsh chemicals.
Consider adding baking soda and vinegar to your next shopping list and skipping the cleaning aisle. It will make cleaning simple and healthy!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.